The first stone for the Municipal Theatre Building was put on September 14, 1891. Manuel Estrada Cabrera, who was the mayor of Quetzaltenango back then, was the person who pushed the project to build the theatre. It was financed by the municipality. The architect was a North American, Enrique H. Jones. When the construction was finished, it didn’t have the facade it has today. In 1906, Manuel Estrada Cabrera, who became the president of Guatemala, came up with the idea of having the facade constructed. Finally, on November 20, 1908, the inauguration was done by the municipality.